Spiced Banana Muffins
* 1/4 C and 2 TBSP canola oil
* 1 C sugar
* 2 eggs (may use 1/2 cup egg substitute)
* 2 large very ripe bananas, mashed
* 2 C all purpose flour
* 1 tsp salt
* 1 tsp baking powder
* 1/2 tsp baking soda
* 1/2 tsp cinnamon
* 1/2 tsp nutmeg
* 1 tsp vanilla
* 1 C buttermilk
1. Turn the oven on and set oven temperature to 400 degrees.
2. Spray a muffin tin with a non stick cooking spray or line with paper muffin cups.
3. Pour the oil into a mixing bowl.
4. Add the sugar and beat with an electric mixer, low speed, until fluffy.
5. Add the egg and continue mixing until thoroughly incorporated into the mixture.
6. In a different bowl mix together the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
7. Sprinkle in the cinnamon and nutmeg and stir just enough to mix the spices into the mixture.
8. Pour 1/3 of the egg mixture into the dry ingredients and stir to mix in.
9. Pour 1/2 C of the buttermilk in the dry ingredients and stir to mix in.
10. Pour 1/3 of the egg mixture into the dry ingredients and tir to mix in.
11. Pour the remaining buttermilk in to the dry ingredients and stir to mix in.
12. Pour the remaining egg mixture into the dry ingredients and stir to mix in making sure you only stir until the dry ingredients are completely moistened and the egg mixture is mixed through.
13. Gently stir in the vanilla just until mixed through.
14. Fill each muffin cup 2/3 full of the prepared batter.
15. Bake 13-15 minutes or until the tops are golden brown and the muffin pops back when touched carefully with a finger.
No matter how careful I am when I buy bananas, I always end up with two bananas that sit on my counter until they're brown. It seems to be the law around my house; leave two bananas uneaten. This is a great use-it-up recipe because not only do you get to use your ripe bananas, but the cinnamon and nutmeg that seems to multiply in your cupboard after the holidays gets used up as well. Enjoy!