Spicy Curried Chicken 'n' Sweet Potato Stew - Crock Pot
* 5 tbsp canola oil, divided
* 2 lbs chicken thighs boneless and skinless
* 2 tbsp flour
* 1 tsp salt, divided
* 1/2 tsp pepper, divided
* 2 lg. onions, chopped
* 1 tbsp garlic, minced
* 1 tbsp ginger
* 1/4 to 1/3 C curry powder
* 2 bay leaves
* 4 C of chicken broth
* 3 lg. sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
1. Put the flour, 1/2 tsp salt and a 1/2 tsp pepper in a zipper food bag.
2. Shake the chicken in the above mixture coating well.
3. In a large skillet over medium high heat put the 3 tbsp canola oil.
4. After the oil is hot add the chicken and brown on both sides 2 minutes per side.
5. Place the browned chicken in a crock pot.
6. In the skillet over medium high add the remaining 2 tbsp of canola oil.
7. Add the onion, garlic and ginger and cook 5 minutes or until the onion is tender.
8. Add the curry powder and cook 2 minutes stirring continuously.
9. Pour the mixture over the chicken in the crock pot.
10. Add the bay leaves, sweet potatoes and chicken broth to the crock pot.
11. Sprinkle with the remaining salt and pepper.
12. Cook covered on low 4 hours.
Curry and ginger are a match made in Heaven! My family just loves this dish. It has a nice mild sweetness courtesy of the sweet potatoes, and the bold savory kick of curry and onion. A couple fresh bay leaves gives that almost woodsy flavor that just brings everything together. Because we are not on restricted diets in our household, we opt for the more affordable chicken thighs. However, this recipe would be suitable for chicken breasts. Either way, enjoy!