* 1/2 cup dried kidney beans
* 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
* 2 cups fresh water
* 1 green onion, finely diced, including the tops
* 1 tsp salt, divided
* 1/2 tsp black pepper
* 2 tsp cumin
* 1 tsp oregano
* 1/4 tsp sage
* dash garlic powder
* dash cayenne
* 1/4 cup corn starch
* 1 Tbsp olive oil
1. Put kidney beans in a bowl with cold fresh water and let soak for 4 to 5 hours.
2. In a large saucepan, put soaked beans, uncooked quinoa, and water over medium heat, bringing just to a boil, turning heat immediately to very low, and simmer, covered for 20 to 30 minutes or until the kidney beans are tender and water is absorbed; remove from heat and let cool.
3. Once cooled to room temperature, put kidney bean and quinoa mixture into a bowl, then add all the remaining ingredients.
4. Using a pastry cutter or potato masher, start mashing mixture together until it has the consistency of hamburger.
5. In a large heavy skillet, heat a little frying oil over medium heat.
6. Form patties out of mixture, packing firmly. Set patties in skillet and fry until golden brown on both sides, about 2 minutes per side. Serve on buns with condiments as you would any burger, or alongside a salad.