Steak 'n Potato Popovers
* 2 TBSP olive oil
* 1 1/2 C onion, chopped
* 2 C mushroom stems and pieces, chopped
* 1/2 tsp thyme
* 1/2 tsp salt
* 1/4 tsp pepper
* 1 1/2 C cooked steak, chopped
* 1 1/2 C cooked potatoes, chopped
* 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
* 1 C dark beer
* 2 pkgs prepared pie crust
* 1 egg
* 1 tsp water
1. In a large skillet over medium heat pour the olive oil and heat until hot.
2. Add the onions and cook just until they begin to soften.
3. Then add the mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes more.
4. Add the thyme, salt and pepper and stir gently.
5. Stir in the potatoes and steak.
6. Add the Worcestershire sauce and beer.
7. Cook on high temperature for 5 minutes or until all the liquid has been absorbed stirring often.
8. Allow the mixture to cool about 10 minutes.
9. Set oven to 350 degrees.
10. Spray non-stick cooking spray thoroughly on a cookie sheet.
11. Place the pie crusts on a generously floured cutting board.
12. Use a round cookie cutter and cut out circles from both pie crusts.
13. Put the cut circles on the prepared cookie sheet.
14. Put 2 TBSP of the mixture in the center of each circle of dough.
15. Then the dough is folded over and pressed together at the edges with a fork dusted in flour.
16. With the fork tines make vent holes in the top of each popover.
17. In a small bowl put the egg and water together and blend with a fork.
18. Brush each popover with the egg mixture.
19. Bake for about 25 minutes or until a light golden brown.
I actually use this recipe more for lunch than as an appetizer, but it's good for either. Adjust the size of the circle you cut out of the pie crust dough... bigger for lunch, smaller for appetizers and just watch your cooking time a bit. Enjoy!