1. In skillet, melt butter and oil over medium heat, then add onions and cook for about 2 minutes, or until just getting fragrant.
2. Add to the skillet the vinegar and honey.
3. Simmer for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Meanwhile, take steaks out of refrigerator and let sit out to remove chill.
5. Season steaks on both sides with thyme, salt, and pepper.
6. Broil or grill steaks as desired, about 3 to 4 minutes on each side.
7. Remove steaks to a platter and pour onion mixture over the top.
8. Let rest for 1 minute, then serve.
I like the tangy flavor with the sweet onions. It's a nice difference from traditional onion and mushroom toppings for steak.
Because the onions are sweet and tangy, the perfect side dish for this meal is a fresh spinach salad. Make your spinach salad with a vinegar and oil dressing and top with diced red onion to mimic the flavors. Perfect!
For potatoes, serve oven fried potato wedges seasoned with Parmesan cheese.