* 1 cup sundried tomatoes
* 2 cups vegetable broth, divided
* 1 cup finely chopped sweet onion
* 3 garlic cloves, grated
* 1 1/2 cup dry white wine
* 1/2 cup lemon juice
* 1 cup uncooked quinoa
* 3 cups small broccoli florets
* optional: chopped cashews and diced green onions for toppings
1. Put sundried tomatoes in a heat-proof bowl, cover with hot water, and let sit for 15 minutes; then drain water and chop tomatoes into small pieces and set aside.
2. In a large pot, put 1/2 cup of the broth and bring to a simmer; add onion and garlic and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the sundried tomatoes, remaining 1 cup of broth, white wine, and lemon juice; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and stir in quinoa; cover and simmer slowly for 20 minutes.
3. Uncover pot and put broccoli in pot, re-cover pot and simmer for another 10 minutes.
4. Remove pot from heat and toss ingredients together, fluffing up the quinoa and mixing in the broccoli. Garnish each serving with a sprinkling of cashews and green onions if desired.
It's really worth the effort to use sundried tomatoes in this dish rather than diced canned tomatoes. The flavor is deeper and richer. The white wine adds another dimension, too, giving this side dish a boost into main dish category.
If you don't want to use white wine, substitute vegetable broth or chicken broth. But, the wine is really good!