1. Put sugar and rum into a big saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil.
2. Add the lemon zest and cranberries, stirring, and bring back up to a boil, then quickly turn the heat down to low to bring it down to a simmer.
3. Cover loosely and cook for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring several times during the cooking process.
Mixture should be cooked down a bit; not too thin.
4. Stir in the nuts, mix, and continue cooking on low for 2 minutes.
5. Remove from heat and let cool, then refrigerate and serve cold alongside turkey, pork, chicken, or duck.
You can play with this recipe as much as you want, substituting other sweeteners or the rum with other ingredients.
If you eliminate the rum, use 1 cup of another liquid such as orange juice or even water. You'll have to adjust the sweetness if you substitute the rum.
Start with the least amount of sugar to begin, taste and add more only if you want.