* 10 slices of French bread
* 5 tsp sugar, divided
* 6 oz. cream cheese, softened at room temperature
* 1/2 tsp almond extract
* 3/4 cup fresh blackberries
* 3/4 cup fresh raspberries
* 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
1. Turn oven broiler on.
2. Lightly butter bread on one side and lay the pieces of bread, butter side up, on an un-greased broiler pan.
3. Sprinkle 2 teaspoons of the sugar evenly over the bread.
4. Broil 4 inches from the heat, only long enough to lightly brown the bread, about 1 minute or less; then remove.
5. Put the cream cheese into a mixing bowl, add the almond extract and mix together until smooth.
6. Spread the cream cheese mixture over the bread pieces.
7. Top each piece of bread with the berries and slivered almonds.
Makes 10 servings