Sweet & Tangy Citrus Cashew Chicken
* 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
* 1/2 C unsalted cashew nuts
* 1 medium onion, sliced
* 1 large skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut to small pieces
* 1 Tbsp soy sauce
* 2 tsp rice vinegar or white wine vinegar
* The juice of 1 small orange (or freshly pressed orange juice)
* 1 tsp brown sugar
* 2 tsp corn flour
* 1 (9 oz.) pkg. small broccoli florets
* 1 red bell pepper, sliced thinly
* 1/2 C of sugar peas
* rice for serving
1. Place the oil into a skillet over medium high heat.
2. Place the nuts into the oil and stir fry 2 minutes or until nicely browned.
3. Remove the nuts and place on paper towel to drain.
4. Add the onions to the skillet and cook, stirring often, 4 minutes or until browned.
5. Adjust the heat to high and add the chicken.
6. Stirring often cook the chicken 4 minutes or until completely browned.
7. Stir in the broccoli, bell pepper and sugar peas and continue cooking 5 minutes.
8. Pour the soy sauce into a mixing bowl.
9. Add in the vinegar, orange juice, brown sugar and corn flour.
10. Whisk until all the ingredients are combined well.
11. Pour the sauce over the mixture in the skillet and stir to coat well.
12. Cook 3 minutes, stirring often, or until the sauce has thickened to your liking.
13. Serve over rice.
Everyone loves a stir fry! This one is especially nice with the sweet and tangy mix of brown sugar and vinegar. I like the surprise of the citrus, too. It just perks up the flavor and makes this dish a bit more flavorful than take-out. Besides, it's fresh and inexpensive to make!