Sweet Watermelon Crackle
*3 3/4 C sugar
*1 1/2 C light corn syrup
*1 C water
*2 drops red food coloring
*2 drops green food coloring
*1/4 tsp watermelon flavoring, divided
*optional: 1/2 C confectioner's sugar, divided
1. Butter the bottom of 2 square baking pans.
2. Position a heavy saucepan over medium heat on the stove.
3. Add the sugar to the saucepan.
4. Pour the corn syrup over the sugar.
5. Add the water to the mixture.
6. Bring to a boil stirring continuously.
7. Stop stirring and continue boiling until a candy thermometer reaches 300 degrees.
8. Take the pan off of the stove.
9. Remove half of the mixture and place in another saucepan.
10. Add the red food coloring to one pan.
11. Stir in 1/8 tsp of the watermelon.
12. Add the green food coloring to the other pan.
13. Stir in the remaining watermelon.
14. Spread the red candy into one of the buttered pans.
15. Spread the green candy into the other buttered pan.
16. Cool both pans to room temperature.
17. Optional: Sprinkle 1/4 C of the confectioners' sugar over the red candy, and the remaining sugar over the green candy.
18. Break the candy into bite size pieces.
19. Keep cool and dry.
Making candy is not just for the holiday season. This is especially nice as a summer treat just because the watermelon taste is so much fun! I prefer to leave the confectioners sugar off so we just have the little watermelon hard candies to enjoy. Keep them cool in the refrigerator and they are a nice treat out by the lakeside or pool.