Thanksgiving Surprise Muffins
* 1 1/2 C all purpose flour
* 1 tsp. baking powder
* 2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
* 1/2 tsp. baking soda
* 1/2 tsp. salt
* 1/2 C quick oats + 2 TBSP quick oats for topping
* 1/2 C pecans, chopped
* 1 C canned pumpkin
* 4 egg whites
* 1/2 C honey
* 1/3 C apple juice
* 1/4 C canola oil
1. Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. Prepare a muffin tin with paper muffin cups.
3. In a large mixing bowl sift together the flour, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda and salt. Be sure the ingredients are combined well.
4. Carefully add 1/2 cup of the oats and the pecans using a rubber spatula to gently stir all the ingredients together. Set aside.
5. In a separate bowl pour the canned pumpkin.
6. Add the egg whites to bowl with pumpkin and stir well.
7. In the pumpkin mixture bowl, pour in the honey, apple juice and canola oil. Be sure to stir from the bottom up to combine the ingredients thoroughly.
9. Now pour the liquid ingredients into the flour mixture.
10. Stir from the bottom up to combine just until all the dry ingredients are moist. (Do not over mix.)
13. Fill each paper muffin cup 3/4 full with the batter.
14. Sprinkle the remaining 2 TBSP of oats equally over the top of each muffin.
15. Bake 20 - 23 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
If you're a big fan of raisins, you might want to add a small amount to the moist ingredients. Don't over do, but a little is nice. It's nice to have a plate of these muffins sitting out early Thanksgiving Day.