Top of the Stove Vegetable Medley
* 2 TBSP extra-virgin olive oil
* 1 large sweet onion, halved and cut in strips
* 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
* 1 tsp. ground cumin
* 1 tsp. ground ginger
* 2 slices lemon
* 2 bay leaves
* 1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper
* 2 C water
* 1 medium cauliflower, cored, cut into 2-inch-long florets
* 6 carrots, peeled, cut into 2-inch-lengths
* 2 can (14 1/2 oz.) fire-roasted whole tomatoes, do not drain
* 1 can (15 oz.) chickpeas, drained
* 1/2 C raisins
* 1 stick cinnamon
* 2 medium zucchini, cut into 1-inch chunks
* 1/4 C toasted slivered almonds
* 1/4 C cilantro leaves
1. Place a Dutch oven pan over medium heat.
2. Add oil and heat 2 minutes.
3. Place onion in hot oil and cook 2 minutes or until onion becomes translucent.
4. Stir in garlic, cumin, ginger, lemon, bay leaves and pepper.
5. Cook 3 minutes stirring often.
6. Mixture will become fragrant when cooked together.
7. Slowly add the water to the pot.
8. Carefully place the cauliflower, carrots, chickpeas, raisins, cinnamon stick and the tomatoes with juice to the pot.
9. Bring mixture to a rapid boil.
10. Cover pot and reduce heat to low.
11. Cook 25 minutes being sure to stir frequently.
12. Add zucchini.
13. Recover pot and cook until the zucchini becomes fork tender, about 15 minutes.
14. Remove bay leaves and cinnamon stick before serving.
15. Top with the almonds and cilantro just before serving.