Veggie and Cornbread Sandwiches
* 3 1/2 C water
* 2 C milk
* 1 1/2 C yellow cornmeal
* 2 TBSP olive oil
* 1 small onion, finely chopped
* 1 stalk celery, chopped
* 1/2 C chopped sweet green pepper
* 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
* 1 tsp. dried basil
* 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper
* 1 medium eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
* 1 can (14 1/2 oz.) diced tomatoes
* 1/4 C water
* 1 TBSP chopped fresh parsley leaves
* 1/2 c grated Parmesan cheese
1. Begin by making the cornbread.
2. Prepare 2 square baking pans with butter being sure to cover the bottom and all sides.
3. In a large bowl mix cornmeal and milk until thoroughly blended.
4. In a large pan over high heat bring 3 1/2 C of water to a rapid boil.
5. Stir cornmeal mixture into the boiling water.
6.Cook 10 to 12 minutes or medium heat until mixture becomes thick.
7. Spread thickened mixture into the 2 prepared baking dishes.
8. Cover with aluminum foil and refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.
9. Cornmeal will firm up in the refrigerator.
10. To cook eggplant place olive oil into a large skillet.
11. Heat oil 2 minutes over medium heat.
12. Add onion, celery and green pepper to the hot oil.
13. Cook 3 minutes or until onion becomes translucent.
14. Stir in the garlic, basil and crushed red pepper.
15. Cook 1 minute.
16. Add the eggplant to the skillet and cook 5 minutes being sure to stir frequently.
17. Slowly add tomatoes with the liquid and remaining water.
18. Cover skillet and allow simmering about 30 minutes.
19. Remove skillet from heat.
20.Stir in the parsley.
21. Remove cornbread from the refrigerator.
22. Place the cornbread on a cookie sheet.
23. Gently sprinkle the Parmesan cheese over the top of the cornbread.
24. Place the cornbread under the broiler.
25. Broil until cornbread begins to brown and the cheese has melted completely.
26. Remove cornbread and cut into squares.
27. Place one square of cornbread on a serving plate.
28. Top with the eggplant mixture.
29. Add a second piece of cornbread on top.
30. Serve warm.