White Wine Citrus And Cinnamon Beef Bake
* 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
* 3 lbs. beef stew meat
* 1/2 tsp salt
* 1/4 tsp pepper
* 1 1/2 C dry white wine
* 6 C of vegetable broth
* 3 bay leaves
* 2 cinnamon sticks
* 2 (14 oz.) cans of chickpeas, drained well
* 2 oranges, zested, peeled, and sectioned
1. Set the oven temperature to 350 and preheat.
2. Pour the oil into a large Dutch oven.
3. Season the beef with the salt and pepper and place into the Dutch oven. Cook the beef over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally or until browned.
4. Carefully pour the wine in and stir and cook for 2 minutes.
5. Stir in the broth, bay leaves, cinnamon stick and chickpeas. Cover the Dutch oven and bake for 1 hour.
6. Stir in the orange zest and the sections and return to the oven for 30 minutes.
Makes 8 servings
I get bored with the same old Dutch oven beef stew dish. You know, the tomato/potato/carrot/beef style.
So, I decided to lighten and brighten it up with some unusual ingredients. White wine instead of red wine. Vegetable broth instead of beef broth. Cinnamon instead of paprika. Chickpeas instead of potatoes. Oranges instead of tomatoes.
This new stew is a big hit with the family. It is filling and delicious! Try this recipe the next time you're looking at a sale on beef stew meat but not so thrilled about the same old stew.
Serve in big bowls with crusty bread.
This also freezes well and will keep fresh for around 3 months as long as your container is well sealed. To reheat, take the stew out of the freezer and thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
Place the amount you want to reheat in a saucepan over low heat for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring frequently, until heated through.