Whole Wheat Apple Cinnamon Flapjacks
* 2 large cooking apples, such as Jonathan or Granny Smith, peeled, if desired, and finely chopped (about 1 1/2 C)
* 2 tsp. lemon juice
* 1 1/2 C whole wheat flour
* 2 TBSP sugar
* 2 tsp. baking powder
* 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
* 1/4 tsp. salt
* 1 egg
* 1 1/2 C milk
* 3 TBSP cooking oil or melted butter
* Cooking oil (optional)
* Unsweetened applesauce (optional)
1. Place the chopped apples in a large bowl.
2. Add the lemon juice to the apples and toss to coat.
3. In a different bowl sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
4. In another bowl place the egg and beat slightly.
5. Pour in the milk and oil or butter and beat together well.
6. Pour the egg mixture into the dry ingredients and mix together just until moistened.
7. Fold in the apples with a rubber spatula just enough to incorporate them into the batter being sure not to over mix.
8. Heat a griddle over medium heat until a drop of water bubbles on the surface.
9. Add cooking oil to the griddle if you would like.
10. Place about 2 spoonfuls of batter on the hot griddle.
11. Cook about 3 minutes or until edges begin to bubble.
12. Flip and continue cooking until a nice golden brown, about 2 minutes.
13. Continue until all the batter has been used.
14. Top with the applesauce and enjoy.
Once I got the hang of making pancakes from scratch, I discovered a whole world of flavor and varieties. This pancake really hits the spot! The apples and cinnamon combination smells in the kitchen make breakfast seem like a holiday. Enjoy!