Wine Basted Rib Eye Roast
* 1 (5 lb) boneless rib eye roast, at room temperature
* 4 cloves of garlic, peeled
* 1/2 C soy sauce
* 1 tsp pepper
* 1 large onion, peeled and diced
* 1 1/2 c red wine
* 1 C beef broth
1. Set the oven at 450 degrees and preheat.
2. Cut garlic into 6 separate pieces and place in 1 inch slits cut on the top of the roast.
3. Rub the soy sauce over roast and sprinkle with pepper.
4. Place the prepared roast in a large roaster pan.
5. Add the onions around the roast.
6. Baste the roast with the wine.
7. Place the roast in the oven and bake 30 minutes, basting with the wine every 10 minutes.
8. Reduce the heat to 350 degrees.
9. Continue baking 1 1/2 hours basting every 15 minutes.
10. Remove the roast from the baking pan, place on a platter and cover to keep warm.
11. Skim the fat off the top of the juices in the roasting pan.
12. Add the remaining wine and the broth to the roaster.
13. Place the roaster over high heat on top of the stove.
14. Simmer 2 minutes, stirring continuously.
15. Carve the roast and ladle the broth over the pieces of meat before serving.
If you're in a hurry to eat, don't make this recipe! You want to linger over this roast, sipping a glass of red wine, and enjoying the deep, dark flavor of this incredible meal. Don't get too complicated with your side dishes. Just a nice, spear or two of steamed broccoli and a baked potato will do just fine.