Yummy Meringue Pumpkin Pie
* 1 9 in. pie shell, unbaked
* 1 1/2 C pumpkin puree
* 1/2 C + 6 tbsp sugar, divided
* 1 tsp cinnamon
* 1/4 tsp nutmeg
* 1/4 tsp cloves
* 1/2 tsp + 1/8 tsp salt, divided
* 3 large eggs, separated
* 1 C evaporated milk
1. In a large mixing bowl put the pumpkin puree.
2. Add 1/2 C of sugar to the puree.
3. Add in the cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and 1/2 t of salt.
4. Blend together until completely mixed.
5. Stir the egg yolks into the puree and mix well.
6. While stirring add the evaporated milk slowly and continue stirring until blended in well.
7. Place the pie shell into a pie plate and pour the pumpkin mixture evenly into the shell.
8. Bake in a preheated oven set at 400 degrees for 35 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
9. Take pie from oven and set the oven temperature to 425 degrees.
10. Place the egg whites into a mixing bowl.
11. Sprinkle the egg whites with the remaining salt and beat until well blended.
12. While beating the mixture add 1 tbsp of the remaining sugar at a time until soft peaks begin to form.
13. The mixture should become stiff and peaks form when you lift the beaters up and out of the mixture.
14. Spread the meringue over the pie being sure to seal around the edges.
15. Place the pie back into the oven for 7 minutes or until meringue begins to brown.
16. Remove the pie and cool on a wire rack.
This pie certainly does double duty! It will WOW your pumpkin pie loving guests AND your meringue loving guests this Thanksgiving and holiday season. We have both in our family, so it works out well for us. It will take you a little bit of time to prepare, but your efforts will be well worth it. Enjoy!