Zesty Beef Vegetable Skillet with Pasta
* 1 lb penne pasta
* 1 tbsp olive oil
* 1 medium onion, chopped
* 2 cloves garlic, crushed
* 1 lb ground beef
* 1/2 tsp ground fennel
* 1 (14 oz.) can tomatoes
* 2 red peppers, halved and sliced
* 1/2 C water
* 1 small beef stock bouillon cube
* 1 tsp sugar
* 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
* 2 tbsp tomato paste
* 2 medium zucchini, sliced finely
* 1 tbsp fresh chives, chopped
1. Following instructions on the pasta package boil just until tender and drain well.
2. Heat olive oil in a large skillet positioned over medium heat.
3. Cook onion, garlic, ground beef and fennel 8 minutes or until meat is browned.
4. Stir in the crushed tomatoes with their juice and the peppers.
5. Crumble the stock cube and stir into the mixture.
6. Add the sugar, vinegar, tomato paste, and zucchini,blending them in well.
7. Cook an additional 10 minutes or until completely heated through.
8. Serve the meat sauce over the pasta, topping with fresh chives.
This recipe looks more complicated than it really is. There are a lot of ingredients, yes, but it goes together easily and quite fast. There's a lot of flavor due in large part to the garlic, fennel, red wine vinegar, and tomato paste. Very savory and delicious. Be sure to use penne pasta as it holds up together very well under such a meaty sauce.