Zesty Chicken with Apple Salsa
* 1/4 C dry white wine
* 1/4 C apple juice
* 1/2 tsp lime zest, grated
* 1/2 tsp salt
* 1/8 tsp pepper
* 4 chicken breasts halves, boneless and skinless
* 2 C Gala or other good cooking apples, cored and chopped
* 1 chili pepper, seeded and chopped
* 1/2 C onion, chopped
* 1/4 C lime juice
* salt and pepper to taste
1. In a zip lock bag put the wine, apple juice, lime zest, salt and pepper.
2. Seal the bag and shake to combine all the ingredients.
3. Add the chicken, reseal the bag and turn a few times.
4. Put in refrigerator at least one hour and turn occasionally.
5. In a large mixing bowl put the apples, chili pepper, onion and lime juice.
6. Coat the apples, peppers and onions with the juice.
7. Add the salt and pepper.
8. Toss everything together until well coated.
9. Set the salsa aside until the chicken is ready to serve.
10. Heat a skillet or grill to medium heat.
11. Take chicken from the marinade and discard the marinade.
12. Grill the chicken for 5 minutes, turn and grill 5 minutes longer.
13. Top the chicken with the salsa before serving.
When it's apple season I'm always looking for ways to take advantage. Our farmers market has a beautiful variety of apples and the workers there are quite knowledgeable, which is great when I'm confused which apple to buy for what! This is a dish that you can use just about any flavorful and crisp apple.
If you don't happen to have a chili pepper on hand, you can substitute some red pepper flakes. Just a few sprinkles will do, depending on your taste buds.
If it's too cold to grill outside and you don't have an indoor grill on your stove top, you can pan fry or bake the chicken on a rack in the oven until cooked through.