* 1 1/2 lb. large round or oval hearty French bread
* 1/4 c. olive oil
* 2 cloves garlic, grated
* 3 large tomatoes, sliced thin
* 1/2 lb. assorted sliced luncheon meat
* 3 oz. sliced pepperoni or salami
* 1/4 lb. assorted sliced cheeses
* 6 oz. marinated artichoke hearts, drained
* 2 1/4 oz. sliced black olives, drained
* 2 to 3 large dill pickles, sliced lengthwise
* 1 mild sweet onion, sliced thin
1. Cut bread in half horizontally. Hollow out the soft bread from both sections, leaving 1/2 to 3/4 inch shell.
2. In small bowl, mix the olive oil and garlic together, then brush the insides of the bread with the mixture.
3. To assemble sandwiches: Layer a third of the tomato slices on the bottom bread, then top with alternate layers of meats, pepperoni, cheeses, half the remaining tomatoes, artichoke hearts, olives, pickles, and onion. Finish with the remaining tomatoes, salt and pepper to taste, and then put the top on.
4. Press down and seal tightly with plastic wrap or foil. To serve, cut into sandwich size segments.