Homemade Potatoes Au Gratin
* 4 russet potatoes, sliced into one-quarter inch slices
* 1 onion, sliced into rings
* 3 tablespoons butter
* 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
* one-half teaspoon salt
* 2 cups milk
* one & one-half cups shredded Cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. Boil the potatoes for 5 minutes, just until slightly tender (do not over boil).
3. Drain and set aside.
4. Lightly butter a casserole dish and place half of the potatoes in the dish.
5. Top with the onion slices and then the remaining potatoes.
6. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
7. In a saucepan, melt butter over low heat.
8. Mix the flour and salt in a separate bowl and add the milk.
9. Stir together until smooth.
10. Add the milk mixture to the butter and cook until mixture starts to thicken.
11. Stir in cheese and quickly stir until melted.
12. Pour cheese over potatoes and cover the casserole dish with aluminum foil.
13. Bake approximately 45 minutes to 1 hour until golden and bubbly.