* 8 C water
* 1 lb. white potatoes, diced
* 1 lb. lentils
* 1 lg. onion, chopped
* 1 lg. stalk of celery, chopped
* 1 lg. tomato, diced
* 2 TBSP butter
* Salt and pepper to taste
1. Place the butter in a small skillet over medium heat.
2. When the butter has melted add the onion.
3. Cook until just begins to brown about 3 minutes.
4. In a large saucepan bring the water to a boil.
5. Add the lentils to the water and return to a boil.
6. When the onions are done place them in the boiling water with the lentils.
7. Add the potatoes and celery to the pot and continue boiling until the vegetables are fork tender.
8. Add the tomatoes.
9. Stir in the salt and pepper.
10. More water may be added it the soup becomes too thick.
11. Continue cooking for about 1 hour.
I come from a big family and grew up eating a lot of potato soup. It's filling and you can sure stretch a dollar with potatoes! The lentils in this potato soup are a real nice surprise. This is 'restaurant' quality soup. Give it a try!