Beyond The Steakhouse Creamed Spinach
* 4 Tbsp canola oil
* 2 onions, chopped fine
* 4 garlic cloves, minced
* 2 red chili peppers, seeds removed and chopped fine
* 1 1/4 lb. baby spinach, rinse and chopped
* 1 1/4 C dry white wine
* 2 Tbsp flour
* 3 C of milk
* 1/2 tsp salt
* 1/4 tsp pepper
* optional: fresh grated Parmesan cheese
1. Heat the oil in a heavy duty saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions to the pan and stirring often, cook 5 minutes or until soft.
2. Stir in the garlic and chili peppers and cook for 2 minutes.
3. Add the spinach and cook just 3 minutes or until the spinach is wilted.
4. Pour the wine into the pan and simmer for 5 minutes or until reduced by half.
5. Put the flour, milk, and salt and pepper in a bowl and whisk until flour lumps disappear.
6. Slowly pour the milk mixture into pan with spinach stirring constantly until mixture begins to thicken.
7. Cook 5 minutes or until creamy and reaching the desired thickness.
8. Serve hot alongside grilled steak, chicken, or fish.
This recipe is a bit of a twist on classic creamed spinach. The little added heat from the chilis adds a lot.
Go ahead and stir in some fresh grated Parmesan if you want to make it creamier and more flavorful.
You can also use this recipe as the basis for a great stuffed baked potato. Stir in sharp Cheddar cheese, then use to top your potato. Add crispy bacon pieces, sauteed mushrooms, or any other potato toppings you like. Very yummy!