Breakfast Fritters with Spiced Syrup
*2 C + 1 TBSP canola oil, divided
*1 lg. egg
*1/2 C milk
*1 C sweet apple, peeled, cored and chopped
*1 C all purpose flour
*1/2 C sugar + 1 TBSP sugar, divided
*1 tsp baking powder
*1 1/4 tsp cinnamon, divided
*1/4 tsp salt
*1/2 C maple syrup
1. Place the 2 C of canola oil into a deep fryer.
2. Heat the oil to 365 degrees.
3. Place the egg into a bowl and beat lightly with a fork.
4. Pour the milk into the bowl with the beaten egg.
5. Fold in the chopped apples.
6. Place the flour into a separate mixing bowl.
7. Add in the 1 TBSP of sugar.
8. Sprinkle in the baking powder.
9. Add 1/4 tsp of the cinnamon and the salt.
10. Blend the ingredients together well.
11. Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture and stir just until moist.
12. Drop the batter by spoonfuls in the hot oil.
13. Fry 4 minutes or until a golden brown.
14. Drain on paper towel well.
15. Put the remaining sugar into a plastic baggie.
16. Dump in 3/4 tsp of the cinnamon.
17. Close the bag and shake to combine.
18. Add the fritters a couple at a time to the bag.
19. Shake to coat the fritters.
20. Pour the syrup into a microwavable bowl.
21. Whisk in the remaining cinnamon.
22. Microwave on high 15 seconds or until the syrup is warm.
23. Pour the syrup over the fritters just before serving.
When I'm trying to justify eating something sugary for breakfast, this is one of the recipes that does the trick. These fritters have apples in them, so they've got to be good for you, right? Well, no matter what, they are tasty!