Broiled Broccoli Breakfast Frittata
* 1 bunch of broccoli cut in 3/4 in. pieces including stems
* 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
* 1 C onions, sliced
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* 6 eggs
* 1 tsp salt
* 1/8 tsp nutmeg
* 1/8 tsp pepper
* 1/2 C Cheddar cheese, shredded
1. Place the broccoli in a saucepan and cover with water. Over medium heat, bring the water to a boil, adjust to low, cover and cook 12 minutes or until the broccoli is crisp tender.
2. Drain well and set aside.
3. Place the oil in a cast iron skillet over medium heat and add the onions and garlic, cooking for 5 minutes, stirring often, until tender.
4. Add the drained broccoli to the skillet.
5. Place the eggs in a separate bowl and lightly beat with a fork.
6. Stir in the salt, nutmeg and pepper until well combined.
7. Pour the mixture into the skillet with the vegetables.
8. Sprinkle the cheese over the top covering the entire mixture.
9. Cover the skillet and cook on low heat for 10 minutes or until set.
10. Set the oven to broil and allow it to preheat.
11. Place the pan under the broiler heat for 2 or 3 minutes or until browned and crisp on top.
This is considered a breakfast dish in our house, but you can make it for brunch, lunch or dinner, too. It's a quick and inexpensive meal that would certainly stretch your food budget a little. Don't put the skillet too close to the broiler if you can help it. It only takes a few minutes to brown the top, so watch it closely.
You might consider using carrots instead of broccoli, or really any other veggie that your family likes. Add a little bacon or chopped chicken for your meat lovers if that would make them happy, but remind them that eggs are a protein, after all. Enjoy!