Busy Day Freezer Ready Lasagna
* 6 tbsp olive oil
* 3 onions, chopped fine
* 1 1/2 lb. lean ground beef
* 8 garlic cloves, minced
* 3 tbsp tomato paste
* 3 (14 oz.) can diced tomatoes, drained
* 2 tsp oregano
* 4 bay leaves
* 1/2 tsp salt
* 1/4 tsp pepper
* 3 tsp pesto
* 3 tbsp butter
* 3 tbsp flour
* 3 1/2 C of milk
* 1 (8 oz.) pkg. mozzarella cheese, shredded
* 1 lb. oven ready lasagna noodles
1. Heat the oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the onions and cook 5 minutes or until soft.
2. Crumble the beef into the saucepan and cook for 5 minutes or until browned. Add the garlic and stirring constantly cook 1 minute.
3. Stir in the tomato paste, tomatoes, oregano and bay leaves. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat to low and simmer 20 minutes. Stir in the salt and pepper, remove from the heat and set aside.
4. In a separate saucepan over low heat, melt the butter, then stir the flour into the butter until completely moistened.
5. Briskly stir in 2/3 cup of the milk until the mixture is smooth. Add the remaining milk and bring the mixture to a boil, stirring constantly.
Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 2 minutes.
6. Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese until completely melted.
7. Cover the bottom of large freezer baking pan with noodles. Spread some meat sauce over the top of the noodles. Spread some of the cheese sauce over the meat sauce.
8. Continue until all the noodles and sauces have been used ending up with cheese sauce on the top.
9. Cover tightly with a couple layers of foil and freeze for up to 3 months. When ready to eat remove the frozen lasagna from the freezer and place in a preheated 350 degree oven. Do NOT remove foil.
10. Bake the lasagna covered for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and cook for 10 to 15 minutes more or until the top is nice and brown.
Makes 8 servings
This lasagna is so easy to throw together. It only takes about 20 minutes to get it ready for the freezer.
Pull this dish out on a busy night for an easy, filling dinner for the family. There's no need to thaw before baking. Just heat up the oven and dinner is ready in about 45 minutes. And, the aroma is almost as fantastic as the taste!