Cheesy Shrimp and Crab Chowder
*1/2 C onion, chopped fine
*1/4 C butter
*1 (14.5 oz.) can chicken broth
*1 C potatoes, peeled and cubed
*2 ribs of celery, chopped
*2 carrots, chopped
*1/4 C Clamato juice
*1/4 tsp. lemon pepper
*1/4 C flour
*2 C milk
*1 (6 oz.) can crab, drained and flaked
*1 C shrimp, peeled, deveined and cooked
*1 (8 oz.) package of sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
1. Melt the butter in a soup kettle over medium heat.
2. Add the onion and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender.
3. Pour the broth into the kettle.
4. Carefully add the potatoes, celery and carrots.
5. Pour the juice into the kettle and stir to combine the ingredients together.
6. Blend the lemon pepper into the chowder.
7. Set the stove temperature on high and bring the chowder to a brisk boil.
8. Reduce the heat to low.
9. Cover the kettle and simmer for 20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
10. Place the flour into a small mixing bowl.
11. Pour the milk into the flour and whisk until smooth.
12. Turn the stove heat to medium.
13. Add the flour mixture to the chowder.
14. Bring the chowder back to a brisk boil.
15. Stirring continuously, cook 2 minutes or until the liquid thickens.
16. Place the heat on low.
17. Add in the crab and shrimp.
18. Sprinkle in the cheese.
19. Continue cooking 10 minutes, stirring often, until the cheese has melted and the chowder is heated through.
If you've been disappointed with the seafood chowder you get at restaurants, there's a reason. There's just not enough of the good stuff in them. You won't be disappointed when you make your own! This chowder is loaded with crab meat, shrimp, vegetables, and cheese - all the things that restaurants tend to skimp on! Pick a special night to enjoy this five-star meal with your family and you'll never attempt to order out again.