* 4 lb chicken, cooked and deboned, cut the meat into bite sized pieces
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 1 cup chopped onion
* 3 carrots, sliced
* 1 cup sliced celery
* 6 cups chicken broth
* 1 bay leaf
* 2 teaspoons dried basil
* 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
* 1/2 cup barley
* salt & pepper
1. In a large saucepan, saute the onions, carrots and celery in hot olive oil just until the onions are translucent.
2. Stir in chicken broth, bay leaf, basil and parsley; bring to a boil.
3. Add chicken meat then reduce to simmer, stir occasionally.
4. In a separate saucepan combine barley with 2 cups of water and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 35 minutes or until water is absorbed.
5. Add barley to soup, stir and serve.
Chicken and barley soup is very traditional. I don't mess with this recipe at all because it works so well. If you haven't tried cooking soup with barley, you'll find that it adds a different texture and a little nutty flavor, as well. Kids aren't always real receptive at first - mine certainly weren't - but keep trying. Barley is sometimes an acquired taste. Don't worry... they can always eat around the barley after they've taken a few bites. Try this recipe again later and I'll bet you'll have the kids converted to barley lovers.