1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease a loaf pan.
2. In a heat-resistant bowl, put the dates, boiling water, and oil, stir gently and let sit for 10 minutes.
3. To the bowl (do NOT drain off liquid) add the brown sugar, egg, and vanilla extract, stir to combine well.
4. In a separate bowl, stir together the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, and salt) then sprinkle in date mixture, stirring as you do to combine, but do not over-mix.
5. Add walnuts and fold in with big spatula.
6. Turn the batter into your prepared loaf pan and bake in preheated oven at 350 degrees for 60 to 65 minutes or until top is lightly golden brown.
7. Remove and cool in loaf pan on counter-top for 5 to 10 minutes, then slide out onto cooling rack.
This is a 'dessert worthy' bread, especially if you make a sweet spread like cinnamon butter, fruit butter, or sweetened cream cheese. Cream cheese mixed with crushed pineapple is especially good. You just can't mess this up! You can even just eat the bread plain with no spread at all for a nice treat anytime, night or day.