1. In large pot, put onion and oil and cook over medium-high heat, stirring, for 1 minute.
2. Add quinoa and saute, stirring, for 5 more minutes or until onion is transparent.
3. Then add salt, cauliflower, and 4 cups water, stir gently to combine, bring to a boil, then immediately turn heat to low and cover pot.
4. Cover and simmer until all water is absorbed and quinoa and cauliflower is soft, about 12 to 15 minutes.
5. Remove from heat and mash this mixture together with a potato masher.
6. Add more water a little at a time, as necessary to achieve a smooth consistency.
Mashed cauliflower makes a nice healthy alternative to potatoes. If you want to add some more nutrients, like protein, to the dish without adding meat, add quinoa. Not only will you get a nice texture, but the protein added is incredible. This could easily be considered a main dish for a light lunch or dinner.