Dates and Cinnamon Glazed Muffins
* 2 C flour
* 1/3 C sugar
* 1 TBSP baking powder
* 3/4 tsp salt
* 1/4 C canola oil
* 2 egg whites
* 1 C skim milk
* 1/2 tsp cinnamon
* 1 C dates, chopped
* 1/2 C powdered sugar
* 2 tsp skim milk
1. Place the oven temperature on 400 degrees and allow the oven to heat.
2. Prepare a muffin tin by spraying the cups with a non stick cooking spray.
3. Place the flour into a large mixing bowl.
4. Add the sugar, baking powder and salt to the flour and mix to combine the ingredients well.
5. In a smaller bowl, whisk together the oil, egg whites and skim milk
6. Pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture and stir just to moisten.
7. Fold in the cinnamon and dates with a rubber spatula.
8. Fill each prepared muffin cup almost to the top with the batter.
9. Bake 16-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
10. Make the glaze by mixing together the powdered sugar and milk until very smooth.
11. Allow the glaze to set while the muffins bake so the glaze can thicken slightly.
12. Remove the muffins from the oven and allow cooling just slightly.
13. Pour the glaze over the top of each muffin before serving
I know dates are good for you, and I do try to eat them, but they are just too much for me. This recipe for muffins uses a lot of dates so I feel good about eating them. Plus, the glazing on top is definately a selling point. Passing these muffins off as cupcakes to get your kids to eat them is fair game!