Delightful Apple Pear Crumb Pie
* 1 refrigerated pie crust, brought to room temperature
* 3/4 C sugar
* 2 tbsp cornstarch
* 1 tsp ground cinnamon
* 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
* 3 C tart apples, peeled and thin sliced
* 3 C pears, peeled and thin sliced
* 1/2 C sweetened dried cranberries
* 1/2 C all purpose flour
* 1/4 C brown sugar, firmly packed
* 1/4 C cold butter
* 1/2 C walnuts, chopped
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
1. Mix together the sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a large mixing bowl.
2. Gently fold in the apple slices, pear slices, and dried cranberries.
3. Place the pie crust in a 9 in pie pan, crimping top to form pretty crust.
4. Combine the flour and brown sugar in a small bowl using a fork to mix well.
5. Using a pastry cutter, cut in the butter until the mixture becomes crumbly, about small pea size.
6. Stir the nuts into the crumb mixture.
7. Spread the fruit mixture into the pie crust.
8. Cover the top of the fruit with the crumb mixture.
9. Loosely cover the pie with a piece of aluminum foil.
10. Bake 55 minutes in a 400 degree oven.
11. Take the foil off and bake an additional 10 minutes or until top is golden brown.
Apples, pears, and sweet cranberries make a very wonderful combination in a pie. The apples alone don't seem quite as sweet or bright alone. Of course, the buttery crumb topping adds a lot of appeal to this dessert. And, thanks to the sweet dried cranberries, this pie is also nice and colorful. Consider making this pie for a special dinner like our family does for Thanksgiving and Christmas when the apples are plentiful.