* 1/2 pound collard greens
* 1 tsp olive oil
* 1 cup rough chopped celery
* 3/4 cup rough chopped onion
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* 1 can (14 oz size) stewed tomatoes, undrained
* 2 tsp Italian seasoning (may substitute a mixture of equal parts oregano OR basil, and marjoram, rosemary, and thyme)
* 1 can (15 oz size) cannellini beans (may substitute navy or Great Northern), rinsed and drained
1. Sort and trim the collard greens to remove any browned parts and tough stems; wash thoroughly by soaking in cold fresh water, then rinsing under running water; drain, then coarsely chop and allow to drain in colander.
2. In a large soup pot over medium heat, put the celery and cook for 3 minutes, add onion and cook for another 3 minutes, then add garlic and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
3. Add the prepared collard greens to the pot, stir, then add the stewed tomatoes with their juice and the seasoning; cook stirring to combine just until the collard greens wilt. Reduce heat to low, cover the pot and simmer slowly for 15 minutes.
4. Add beans, stir, cover the pot and simmer slowly for 5 more minutes.
5. Serve alongside your main meat dish or as a meal on its own with good crusty bread to sop up the juice. This makes 4 servings.