Dried Mixed Fruit Yogurt Bars
* 3/4 C brown sugar, firmly packed
* 1/2 C white sugar
* 1 (8 oz.) container low fat vanilla yogurt
* 2 egg whites, beaten slightly
* 2 tbsp canola oil
* 2 tbsp milk
* 2 tsp vanilla extract
* 1 1/2 C all purpose flour
* 1 tsp baking soda
* 1 tsp cinnamon
* 3 C quick oats, uncooked
* 1 C dried mixed fruit, chopped
1. Preset the oven temperature to 350 degrees and allow the oven to preheat.
2. In a large mixing bowl put the brown sugar and white sugar and mix together.
3. Whip in the yogurt and the egg until blended well.
4. Pour the oil, milk and vanilla into the mixture and stir with a rubber spatula.
5. Combine in a separate bowl the flour, soda and cinnamon.
6. Stir the sugar and flour mixtures together with a rubber spatula.
7. Stir in the oats with the spatula until incorporated into the mixture well.
8. Fold in the dried fruit.
9. Spread the batter evenly in a large ungreased baking pan.
10. Bake 25 minutes or until golden brown.
11. After cooling to room temperature cut into equal size bars.
When I can find bars to make that are a bit healthier than others, I usually give them a try. This is still a very yummy snack, but it does have some of the advantages of other healthy snacks. These bars are a nice treat anytime, but they are especially nice to have around the house for an afternoon snack, or an after school snack.