Fancy Orange Blueberry Waffles
* 1 C of flour
* 2 tbsp sugar
* 1 tsp baking powder
* 1/4 tsp salt
* 1 egg yolk
* 1/4 C of skim milk
* 1/4 C of orange juice
* 1 tbsp butter melted
* 1 tsp orange peel, grated
* 1/8 tsp orange extract
* 4 egg whites
* 1 C of fresh blueberries
1. Preheat the waffle iron.
2. Place the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt into a bowl and stir to combine.
3. In another bowl whisk together the egg yolk, milk, orange juice, butter, orange peel and extract.
4. Stir the mixture into the flour ingredients until just moistened.
5. In a small bowl beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
6. Gently fold the mixture into the batter.
7. Fold in the blueberries.
8. Pour the batter into the preheated waffle iron and cook according to the manufacturers directions for you iron.
Makes 4 servings
These waffles are not only light and fluffy, they have a wonderful citrus flavor, too. Of course, the blueberries add a very fancy taste and look, making these waffles perfect for a holiday breakfast or brunch, or anytime you have house guests to impress.
I skip the maple syrup on these waffles and add just a touch of whipped topping instead, or a surprising treat is a dab of pecan butter ice cream. Enjoy!