Feast Again Turkey Vegetable Soup
* carcass from roasted turkey, picked clean
* 1 large yellow onion, wash, unpeeled, quartered
* 1 large carrots, scrubbed, coarsely chopped
* 2 stalks celery, coarsely chopped
* 3 garlic cloves, smashed, unpeeled
* 1 bay leaf
* 10 whole black peppercorns
* 1 tablespoon olive oil
* 1 large onion, chopped
* 2 ribs celery, chopped
* 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
* 2 garlic cloves, minced
* 1 tsp fresh thyme
* 2 cups leftover turkey meat, shredded or chopped
* 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt, taste as you add
* 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper, to taste
1. Put the turkey carcass, quartered onions, coarsely chopped carrots and celery, smashed garlic, bay leaf, and peppercorns in a large stockpot.
2. Cover with cold water and set over medium-high heat and bring to boil, then immediately turn heat to simmer and slowly simmer for 1 hour.
3. Remove pot and pour the liquid through a fine mesh strainer into a large bowl or pot. This should yield about 10 cups of broth.
4. Dry the inside of the stockpot a little with a paper towel.
5. To the stockpot add the oil and place over medium heat.
6. Add the chopped onion, celery, and carrots and cook until starting to get soft, about 5 minutes.
7. Add the minced garlic and thyme, stirring to combine for just 1 minute.
8. Pour in the reserved stock and bring to a gentle simmer; simmering until vegetables are just soft, about 8 to 10 minutes.
9. Add the leftover turkey meat, salt, and pepper, tasting to adjust seasoning.
10. Simmer just until turkey is heated through. Will serve 4 to 6.
Never throw out the carcass of your beautiful roasted turkey. That delicious turkey you enjoyed once can be enjoyed again with this delicious soup.
Once the meat has all been removed, you are left with a bone "frame" that is rich in flavor and seasonings, just waiting for you to develop into another dish - in this case a splendid soup. Enjoy!