1. Bring a pot of water with a pinch of salt to a boil, add the beans, cook 15 minutes and drain well.
2. Place the almonds in a dry skillet and stirring often toast 3 minutes then remove.
3. Add the oil to the skillet, stir in the shallots and cook 5 minutes, stirring often.
4. Return the beans to the skillet and sprinkle with the almonds, salt and pepper.
5. Cook for 2 minutes or until heated through.
We love fresh green beans but like to dress them up for dinner a bit. Instead of just boiling up a batch and serving them with butter, a little toasted almonds and shallots is all you need to make a simple side dish ready for company. The crunch of the almonds is wonderful!
Be sure to use shallots as they have a mild "garlicky" taste, and garlic and green beans go together perfectly.