* 3 Tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature, divided
* 6 ripe figs, stems removed and cut in half lengthwise
* 8 slices hearty Italian bread
* 4 ounces Gorgonzola cheese, at room temperature
* black pepper to taste
1. Melt 1 tbsp of the butter over medium-high heat in a large nonstick skillet.
2. Add figs to skillet cut side down and saute about 2 minutes until golden around the edges and soft to the touch. Turn and cook for an additional minute, then transfer to a plate and let cool slightly.
3. Brush grill rack with oil and preheat the grill to medium-high.
4. Assemble sandwiches by buttering one side of each slice of bread with remaining 2 tablespoons of butter.
5. Put 4 slices of bread on a work surface, buttered side down, and spread the cheese evenly over all slices, followed by the figs.
6. Put the remaining 4 bread slices on top, buttered side up.
7. Put sandwiches on the grill and cook for 2 minutes, until the undersides are golden brown and the cheese begins to melt.
8. Turn sandwiches with a spatula, pressing firmly to flatten them slightly.
9. Cook for 1 minute, or until the undersides of bread are golden brown.
10. Turn the sandwiches once more, press with the spatula, and cook for 30 seconds, or until the cheese melts completely. Serve immediately. Makes 4 sandwiches.