Grilled Reuben Brats In A Tortilla Blanket
* 1 (12 oz) can of beer
* 8 bratwursts
* 1 onion, chopped
* 2 tbsp vegetable oil
* 1 lb sauerkraut, drained well
* 2 tbsp sugar
* 1/2 tsp salt
* 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
* 8 (10 in) tortillas
* 8 tbsp Dijon mustard
* 8 slices smoked Swiss cheese
1. In a large pan over medium high heat place the beer and brats.
2. Bring the beer to a rapid boil.
3. The heat is reduced to low, cover and cook 15 minutes.
4. Turn off heat and allow the bratwurst to stay in beer until cooled.
5. In a large saucepan over medium high heat put the vegetable oil.
6. Place the onion in the oil and cook 6 minutes or until just beginning to brown.
7. Mix in the sauerkraut, sugar, salt and pepper flakes and cook 5 minutes.
8. Heat the grill to the medium high temperature.
9. Lay the brats on the grill and grill for 8 minutes, turning often to cook all sides.
10. Spread the sauerkraut mixture down the middle of each tortilla.
11. Cut brats in half lengthwise and place the two halves of the bratwurst on top of the sauerkraut.
12. Spread the mustard over the brats then add a slice of cheese.
13. Roll the tortilla over the cheese and fold the bottom and tops in to close.
14. Grill the tortillas 3 minutes per side until toasted and the cheese is melted.
Cooking the brats in beer speeds up the grilling process and adds flavor. However, you can just put the brats on the grill raw, it will just take some patience. This is a very fun way to serve brats as the tortilla "blankets" get nice and toasty on the grill and add a lot to the overall appearance and presentation of the reuben brat sandwich.