* 3 Tbsp canola oil
* 3 onions, chopped very fine
* 4 garlic cloves, minced or grated
* 30 fresh tomatoes, quartered
* 1/2 tsp salt
* 1/4 tsp pepper
* 1 tsp sugar (optional)
* 1 Tbsp tomato paste
* 2 1/2 cups vegetable stock
1. Pour the oil into a soup pot, add the onions, and cook over low heat for 7 to 10 minutes or until onions are very soft.
2. Stir in the garlic, tomatoes, salt, pepper, sugar, and tomato paste, stirring until blended well.
3. Cook over very low heat, stirring often, for 30 minutes.
4. Turn heat up to medium high and stir in the stock; bring to a rapid boil then immediately reduce the heat down to low again and simmer for 10 minutes.
5. Remove from heat and allow soup to cool for a few minutes, then carefully pour the soup into your food processor and process on 'puree' until the soup is very smooth.
Makes about 8 servings.
This homemade tomato soup is one half of my all-time favorite lunches when I was a kid - tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwich. Yum!
Besides tasting great, the other thing you'll appreciate about this homemade tomato soup is it freezes well, too. Just let it cool completely, then seal in freezer containers. To reheat, let the soup defrost a bit, then put it in a pan and reheat slowly until just hot - don't let it boil. You'll definitely want to double the recipe so you have enough to serve right away and freeze.