1. Put oil in cast iron skillet, salt and pepper roast, and brown over medium heat, turning to brown all sides of roast.
2. Remove roast from skillet, set aside, and turn heat to low under skillet.
3. In same skillet over low heat, mix together soup, dry onion soup mix, and water and stir to mix and get browned bits off bottom.
4. Pour 1/2 mixture from skillet into crock pot, then lay roast on top.
5. Arrange the potatoes around the roast in the crock pot.
6. Pour remaining soup mixture from skillet over the top of the roast and potatoes.
7. Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours or until roast falls apart and potatoes are tender.