1. In a skillet, stir the almonds, hazelnuts and sugar together and place over low heat.
2. Stirring constantly, heat until the sugar has completely dissolved, increase the heat to medium and cook until the mixture resembles a toffee syrup.
3. Pour the mixture onto a baking sheet, cool, then crush up fine.
4. Slit the banana peel to open just slightly and stuff 3 tsp of the nut mixture into each banana, close the slit and wrap each banana in foil.
5. Grill over medium heat for 8 minutes turning once.
Grilled bananas always pleasantly surprise your guests. They can't imagine bananas are coming off a grill! Then, they open up the foil and dig in and get another surprise. The sweet nut mixture adds a nice crunch and syrupy flavor to the banana. This is a nice dessert after any grilling party. Enjoy!
You can also get your kids involved making this one. Once you've cooked up the nuts and cooled them, they can do the stuffing and wrapping with foil. Kids enjoy 'pulling one over' on the adults, so tell them you're going to surprise Grandma with a grilled banana and watch them get enthusiastic about helping in the kitchen!