Oven-Baked Black Bean Burgers Mexicali
* 1 can (15 oz) black beans, rinsed, drained, divided in half
* 1/2 cup green onion, diced including tops
* 1/4 cup plain dry bread crumbs
* 1/4 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
* 1/4 cup roasted red peppers, chopped
* 1 egg
* 1/2 tsp olive oil
* 2 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
* 1 tsp dried oregano
* 1/2 tsp onion powder
* 1/2 tsp ground cumin
* 1/2 tsp baking powder
* 1/2 tsp salt
* 1/4 tsp black pepper
* dash garlic powder
1. In food processor, put half the black beans and all the remaining ingredients. Use pulse setting on food processor and pulse processor until mixture gets sticky and holds together well, about 1/2 minute or a little more.
2. Put other half of black beans in processor and pulse until beans break up, but not smooth; about 6 or 7 times.
3. Let the mixture sit undisturbed at room temperature for about 15 to 20 minutes. The flavors will blend. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
4. Form burger shaped patties, using about 1/4 cup for each burger.
5. Heat skillet with a touch of non-stick cooking spray over medium heat. Put patties in skillet and brown for 3 or 4 minutes, flip carefully, brown the second side for about 3 or 4 minutes.
6. Remove patties to baking sheet and put in preheated oven and bake at 350 degrees for 10 to 15 minutes.
7. Serve on hamburger buns with salsa, mustard, slices of sweet onions, avocados, or guacamole.
These burgers are so flavorful, your meat-eaters may even prefer them to hamburgers. And because you make them in the oven, they are simple and don't need a lot of attention once you get them together.
Be creative with the toppings. Serve with salsa verde or red salsa, or just plain ketchup and mustard if you wish. Include a crunchy red onion and some lettuce or even shredded cabbage. You can even melt a little slice of cheese on top for an extra creamy touch. Use a smoked Provolone for the perfect taste combination. Enjoy!
p.s. If you want to turn these into "Sliders" just cut the baking time down to about 7 to 10 minutes, depending on the size. Then serve with tiny slider buns and enjoy.