1. Preheat the broiler, and prepare the broiler pan with a light spray of nonstick cooking oil.
2. Form the beef into 4 equal size patties and arrange them on the the prepared broiler pan.
3. Broil 4 inches from the heat for 5 minutes, turn, then broil 5 more minutes or until cooked through.
4. Remove broiler pan from under broiler, remove burgers from pan and set aside, keeping warm.
5. Put the bread slices on the broiler pan and toast under broiler until browned. Turn to brown both sides.
6. Meanwhile, pour the pasta sauce into a small saucepan and heat over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until hot and bubbly and reduces somewhat.
7. Place the burgers on the toasted bread, spoon the pasta sauce over each burger and sprinkle with the cheese.
8. Return the burgers to the broiler for 1 minute or until the cheese melts.
9. Serve open-face style.
Makes 4 servings
Use a very good pasta sauce for the tastiest pizza burger. I like to use one that is rich with mushrooms. For a little flavor boost, sprinkle on a little more oregano or basil. You may even want to add a sprinkle of powdered garlic.
Be sure to simmer the pasta sauce long enough for it to reduce a bit and get thicker. That intensifies the flavor as well as keeps it on the burger, rather than sliding off. You don't want the sauce too runny.