Quinoa Tamari Tofu Casserole
* high heat oil
* 1 leek, trimmed, washed, and chopped
* 1 1/2 cup tofu, drained and slice into small chunks, then squeeze out water with paper towels
* 2 cups cooked quinoa
* 1 garlic clove, grated or minced
* 2 tsp sesame oil
* 2 tsp tamari
* dash black pepper
* 1 cup bread crumbs or wheat germ (divided)
* 1 cup milk
* 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan (or other cheese of your choice)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Pour some high-heat oil into a large skillet or wok and heat until hot. Add leek and saute quickly until light brown, stirring.
3. Add tofu and quinoa, and saute for two minutes, stirring.
4. Add garlic and stir for 30 seconds.
5. Remove from heat and stir in sesame oil, tamari, and black pepper to taste.
6. Use oil or cooking spray to generously coat a casserole dish. Sprinkle 1/2 cup bread crumbs into the casserole dish, turning dish and shaking to make sure bread crumbs evenly coat the bottom of the casserole.
7. Gently add the quinoa mixture to the casserole dish, distributing it evenly, then press a well in the center of the mixture and pour in the milk.
8. Top mixture evenly with remaining 1/2 cup bread crumbs and cheese, cover casserole.
9. Bake for 20 minutes in the preheated 350 degree oven.
10. Remove cover from casserole and continue baking for 5 to 10 minutes or until cheese is nicely browned. Makes 5 servings.
This is a protein packed dish for vegetarians, yes, but the flavor makes it much, much more than that. Don't underestimate the WOW factor of tamari and sesame oil.
Also, if you've never cooked with leeks, this will be the recipe you want to give it a try. They are heartier texture than onions and with a milder, slightly sweet taste. Enjoy!