Roasted Mixed Vegetable Quinoa
* 1/2 tsp salt
* 1/4 tsp red pepper
* 1/4 tsp black pepper
* 1 cup quinoa
* 2 garlic cloves, minced
* 1/2 tsp dried thyme, crushed
* 1/4 tsp dried marjoram, crushed
* 2 medium sweet potatoes, diced small
* 1 peeled eggplant, diced small
* 1 medium-size tomato, cut in thin wedges
* 1 green bell pepper, cut in thin strips
* 1 sweet onion (small), cut in thin wedges
* 2 cups chicken broth or water
* Non-stick cooking spray
1. Preheat oven to 450░F.
2. Line large baking sheet with foil and coat with cooking spray.
3. Arrange eggplant, tomato, bell pepper, potatoes, and onion on the pan and coat vegetables lightly with more cooking spray.
4. Sprinkle black pepper, ground red pepper, and salt over vegetables and toss to coat.
5. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until vegetables are just tender and browned.
6. In the meantime, place quinoa in a strainer and rinse well.
7. Coat a medium saucepan with cooking spray, then cook garlic, marjoram, and thyme for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring as you go.
8. Add quinoa and cook for an additional 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
9. Add water or broth and bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce to low heat.
10. Cover and simmer until water is absorbed, about 12 to 15 minutes. Quinoa will become somewhat translucent when done.
11. Gently mix quinoa and roasted vegetables in a large bowl and serve immediately. Serves 6.
Because quinoa is LOADED with protein, this qualifies quite nicely as a main dish. Of course, you can add cooked diced chicken or even cooked fish or other seafood if you want.
Roasting the vegetables brings out the natural sweetness and flavor. Choose any variety of vegetables you like. Just remember to cut them in sizes that are appropriate for roasting during the same time period. Cut sweet potatoes smaller than the eggplant, for instance.
Cooking the herbs for a minute helps bring out the flavor and fragrance.