Smooth & Creamy Apple Cheese Soup
* 2 tbsp canola oil
* 3 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and chopped
* 1 potato, peeled and chopped
* 1 stalk celery, chopped
* 1/4 C onion, chopped fine
* 1/8 tsp ground thyme
* 1/4 C white wine
* 5 C chicken broth
* 4 C Cheddar cheese, shredded
* 1/2 C heavy cream
* 1/8 tsp nutmeg
* 1/8 tsp pepper
1. Over medium heat in a large soup pot, heat the oil to hot.
2. Cook the apples, potato, celery and onion for 5 minutes in the hot oil.
3. Add the thyme and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
4. Stir in the wine along with the chicken broth and cook 35 minutes.
5. Pour the mixture into the blender and puree until smooth.
6. Return the pureed mixture to the soup pot.
7. Adjust the heat to low.
8. Fold in the cheese, heavy cream, nutmeg and pepper.
9. Heat on very low heat for 15 minutes or until heated through.
10. Do not let the soup start to boil or the cheese and cream will curdle.
This creamy soup is definitely worth every minute you spend cooking it. Use either your blender or your food processor to create a smooth puree. You might want to puree small portions at a time to avoid overflowing hot soup onto your counter or yourself.
With any cream soup, just be sure that when you return the pureed soup back to the pan to heat again, set your burner on extremely low heat to avoid scorching or curdling the cream.
This soup is pretty fancy and could easily be served for any holiday meal. It's certainly good enough for company!