Spicy Oyster Bake
* 1 C saltine crackers, crushed
* 1 pt fresh oyster, reserve liquid
* 1/4 C scallions, diced
* 1/4 C fresh parsley, chopped
* 1 tbsp lemon juice
* 1 tsp salt
* 1/2 tsp pepper
* 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
* 8 tbsp (1 stick) butter
* 1 C light cream
* 1/2 C milk
* 1 dash Tabasco sauce
* 1/2 tsp paprika
1. The oven is set to 400 degrees and allowed to preheat.
2. Generously spray a shallow baking dish with a non stick cooking spray.
3. In the bottom of the prepared casserole put 1/3 of the crushed crackers.
4. Lay half of the oysters on top of the crackers.
5. Half of the scallions are placed on top of the oysters.
6. Whisk together the parsley, lemon juice, salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce.
7. 1/2 of the lemon juice mixture is poured over the casserole.
8. 1/2 of the butter is dotted on top of the casserole.
9 Whisk the cream and milk together and pour 1/2 over the casserole.
10. Using the rest of the ingredients alternate layers the same as above ending with 1/3 of the cracker crumbs.
11. Add the Tabasco sauce.
12. The paprika is sprinkled over the top of the cracker crumbs.
13. Bake 30 minutes or until the casserole is set and jiggles when shaken.
This dish has been a tradition in our house for many, many years. We've tweaked the ingredients several times as new family members take on feeding the family around the holiday table. Tweak it a bit, too, so you make it your own family favorite.