* 1 lb. fresh split peas
* 1 lb potatoes, quartered
* 1 small onion, chopped
* 1 lg carrot, chopped
* 1 lg turnip, chopped
* 1 small stalk celery, chopped
* 1 TBSP butter
* 8 C water
* Salt and pepper to taste
1. Place the water in a large soup pan and bring to a rapid boil.
2. Add the peas and continue boiling while chopping the other vegetables.
3. Place the potatoes, onion, carrot, turnip and celery into the boiling water.
4. Stir in the butter, salt and pepper.
5. Continue to boil until the vegetables are fork tender.
6. Should the soup become thick you may add more water a little at a time until desired consistency is reached.