1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees, and prepare a muffin tin with paper liners or spray well with cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, lemon zest and nutmeg, then fold the blueberries into the mixture.
3. In a separate bowl, mix the yogurt and buttermilk together well, then stir the yogurt mixture into the flour mixture until the flour mixture is just moistened.
4. Fill the muffin tin cups 3/4 full with the batter.
5. Bake 16 to 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
6. Cool in the muffin tin for 5 minutes then remove muffins to wire racks to cool completely.
Makes 12 muffins.
The super-moist texture of these muffins comes from the yogurt and buttermilk. It also gives the muffins a great tangy taste mixed with the sweetness of the blueberries.
There is very little fat in these tasty treats. Because you're using fat-free yogurt and buttermilk, which may sound like it's fat, but buttermilk is actually low in fat.
Buttermilk used to be the portion of milk remaining after the liquid was churned to remove the fatty butter. Today when you buy buttermilk, you are not buying this byproduct of churning butter. You are buying a product made from non-fat or low-fat milk. Cultured buttermilk has a thick creamy texture but is low in fat and calories. This makes buttermilk perfect for making muffins moist AND low fat.